An awesome recording of Frederic Rzewski’s “Coming Together” in a live performance by the Crash Ensemble with Gavin Friday.  Picked up directly from Rzewski himself in Kansas City by Scott Unrein.  Not available commercially.  Rzewski says it’s his favorite recording of the work.

And you can listen to it, or download it, here.

Update:  I cheated and fixed the spelling of Fred’s name.  Be sure to check the Workspace for a new commissioning prize.

10 Responses to “Hot Bootleg of the Month”
  1. Graham Rieper says:

Gesundheit.

2. Jerry Bowles says:

I knew that, of course. But, I’m old. Give me a break.

3. Scott Unrein says:

The real news was that everyone can listen to the track on my podcast this week. It’s not like I’d tell folks about it and not share…heh.

4. Jerry Bowles says:

Sorry, Scott. I left out the most important part–the link. I really am getting senile.

5. david toub says:

Thanks! Interesting performance.

My personal preference is always going to be the original Opus One LP with Steve ben Israel (speaker), Karl Berger (vibraphone), Alvin Curran (piccolo trumpet), Jon Gibson (alto sax), Joan Kalisch (viola), Garrett List (trombone), Frederic Rzewski (piano), and Richard Youngstein (bass). It has the energy of that particular period, and i don’t know that any subsequent performance could capture it that way. Just my bias.

6. Thanks, but I much prefer the Robert Ashley segment that starts the show!

7. Caroline says:

Gavin Friday is many things, but he’s not quite a ‘rapper’ as Scott describes him in his podcast.

8. Scott Unrein says:

Well, that’s how Rzewski described him to me, but I’ll admit that I didn’t look into it. Mea culpa.

9. Caroline says:

That’s cool, Scott, it’s was great to hear Rzewski likes this version. Many thanks for including it in your podcast.

10.