Nail-Biting Time

The clock is ticking and things are pretty tense here in the old control room.  The fate of the Republic hangs in the balance.  I refer, of course, not just to next week’s election which is only the most important one we’ve had in the past 250 years but to tonight’s showdown between number 3 West Virginia (yea) and number 5 Louisville (boo).  May rightousness (my team) prevail in both encounters.

With that in mind, it seems like a good day to talk about graphic scores.  What are they?  Who does them?  And, most importantly, why?  Start here with Roger Bourland’s post about George Crumb, which is accompanied by a score that looks like a seating plan of Giants Statium laid out for a Stones concert.

Comments

Comment from Evan Johnson
Time: November 2, 2006, 10:54 am

I do like Bourland’s advice about always having an interesting first page. I might have to steal that.

Comment from Daniel G.
Time: November 2, 2006, 12:09 pm

Oh Jerry, dear Jerry. Your team will not prevail tonight. Revenge is sweet and we have the home field advantage :) Go Cards!

Comment from jodru
Time: November 2, 2006, 12:19 pm

West Virginia all the way. But they can win all they want, the title’s still going to my team: OSU.

The grandaddy of all graphic scores is Cornelius Cardew’s Treatise, and well worth a closer look.

Comment from David Salvage
Time: November 2, 2006, 12:51 pm

Of course we all know the real showdown will be Ohio St. vs. Michigan.

GO BUCKS!!!!!!!

Comment from Ian Moss
Time: November 2, 2006, 4:20 pm

Unfortunately, I think this election is trumped in importance by both 2004 and 2000. Too bad more people didn’t realize it at the time.

Comment from Seth Gordon
Time: November 2, 2006, 6:45 pm

I think this election is trumped in importance by both 2004 and 2000

I dunno – this is America’s first chance (I think) to send a music major to the World’s Most Deliberative Body.

Granted, knowing a number of music majors, I’m not entirely sure that’s a good thing…

Comment from Aaron
Time: November 2, 2006, 11:34 pm

If that music major is running against Conrad Burns, it sure as hell is a good thing. I’d vote for a half-dead squirrel over Burns, if I lived in Montana. I watched the debate on c-span a week or two ago. Rather appalling.

Though, after watching the HBO documentary, “Hacking Democracy,” I’m unsure if the election results will be the slightest bit legitimate. A very frightening, frightening situation.

Time: November 3, 2006, 9:05 am

Louisville played a great game and deserved to win. Congrats, Daniel G.

Comment from Daniel G.
Time: November 3, 2006, 11:14 am

Jerry, WV played a great game. It was fun to watch!

p.s. any chance i could get a new login for the CF and start reviewing CDs?

Comment from Seth Gordon
Time: November 3, 2006, 11:25 am

Well, we may all have our doubts (especially those of us who find Diebold machines at our polling places) – but as someone said, the only way you can be absolutely sure your vote doesn’t count is to not vote.