not a great way to start the day

CNN: Internet Radio Broadcasters Dealt Setback

Full story here.

Oy.

Comments

Comment from andrea
Time: April 17, 2007, 3:15 pm

It’s a bummer, and yet… I feel like people are going to work it out. People will always find a way to share what they love. I just caught wind of this:

It’s a project by New World Records and NYU: a streaming recording library. Many very cool labels are represented, including CRI — that’s right, CRI. Word on the street is Lovely Music will soon be joining the fold…

Comment from jeff harrington
Time: April 17, 2007, 3:16 pm

Pity… but… synchronous media is dead. If I can’t click next or skip the ads I am not interested. Wading through boring music to hear that the next piece is even more boring! That’s radio… Asynchronous media/Playlists/DVR’ed Content – that’s the future.

Comment from David Toub
Time: April 17, 2007, 4:00 pm

I certainly prefer to listen to my iPod or iTunes on my computer with what I already have. But there are huge benefits to online radio that you’re missing in your post, Jeff. For starters, it’s a great way to encounter new music you don’t already know. I would have been much the poorer had it not been for Kyle’s PostClassic Radio and other Web-based stations that feature new music.

FWIW, any Internet station has always been welcome to play my crap for free, as many now do. Indeed, many of us give our music away, and are delighted when it shows up on PostClassic, Contemporary-Classical Radio, etc.

Comment from Seth Gordon
Time: April 17, 2007, 4:00 pm

If I can’t click next or skip the ads I am not interested.

Hey, beggars can’t be choosers. Man, you’re just never satisfied with anything, are you? What’re you, my freakin’ ex? ;)

Seems to be a problem with the DRAM server at the moment… but you can read their little blurb about it here: http://library.nyu.edu/diglib/projects.html

Comment from jeff harrington
Time: April 17, 2007, 4:20 pm

That’s not true at all Seth! I’m very satisfied right now with the state of… uh… oh never mind. Well look who won the Pulitzer Prize!! Ornette! There you go…

So much free music around, though – why wait through something boring? I guess I’m just trigger happy that way what with about 40GB of MP3’s on my hard drive at the moment (work pc so I’m limited).

Curated, asynchronous media I think though really represents the future. David, asynchronous playlists can be curated too (like Kyle’s PostClassic)… and they don’t have to be downloadable with a Flash player. I think Andrea’s right too, that it’ll get worked out for all you losers that like to listen to :cough: ra-di-o…

Comment from David Toub
Time: April 17, 2007, 4:39 pm

As far as sitting through something boring, you can just look at the Web site for what they’re playing right then to determine if it’s worth your while. Butthere’s something to be said for just going with the flow and listening to the playlist. Think of it like a potluck. The problem is that we’ve become a society that wants exactly what we want when we want it. Sure, I often prefer my iPod to the programming on satellite radio, but not always. Again, it’s great to encounter stuff by serendipity.

Besides, if you don’t like what’s on, then go back to your 40 gigs of mp3s, or whatever. My iPod has around the same amount of music (including 2 gigs of Scelsi and several gigs of Feldman and Terry Riley) and even that’s never enough.

Comment from jeff harrington
Time: April 17, 2007, 4:48 pm

Heh, you can characterize it as a societal thing, but I think that sitting through boring music, ‘half-listening’ is also a problematic societal thing. That talent is required for a regular radio listener. That’s fine with rock and pop, but with jazz or classical I want to be in it.

Whenever I’ve spent time listening to the radio, throughout my life, I’ve always shuffled between stations during ads, and boring songs/pieces – like many people. With long classical pieces though that’s really problematic. Catching the beginning is a pain etc… That’s probably the main reason I don’t listen to radio.

Comment from David Toub
Time: April 17, 2007, 4:52 pm

I rarely listen to the radio (outside of NPR or the local KYW am station for traffic) because I guess I’m like everyone else — I want what I want when I want it 8-)

Comment from Daniel
Time: April 17, 2007, 9:27 pm

Hey now! Don’t pick on ALL of us radio people. :P

I think it’s too early to call the death of radio, in favor of newer technologies such as the ipod and on demand web streams. Maybe in 20 years.

I don’t claim to have “figures,” but I would bet that most music listeners still use such old-fashioned devices such as radios (in the car, at work, while on the treadmill, etc) and CDs. IMHO, most people still gravitate towards easy to use technology, which sometimes means a simple radio or a CD player. If you have the numbers to prove otherwise, please share.

In addition, radio stations are starting to re-invent themselves as media outlets, with ways to supliment the FM/AM waves.

Comment from david toub
Time: April 17, 2007, 9:43 pm

Let’s also not forget that Web radio is critical in airing new works by many of us, and without it we would have an even more difficult challenge in getting our stuff out so that others can hear it.

Comment from T.D. Lake
Time: April 18, 2007, 12:16 am

I listen to Internet radio a lot to hear new works, and would be very sad, or will be, if it goes out of business. I especially like WGBO New York and Contemporary Classical. I can listen to those radio stations for free and expose myself to new music, and I think the recording industry has just gotten so greedy. Personally, I would jump at the chance to have people play my stuff royalty free, just so people could hear my music and I could reach a wider audience. But I’m not greedy I guess. I would like to make a living, but I’m not greedy.

Finally, and I don’t want to be a bastard, but I think the comments about Ornette are a little unfair. Granted a few things: there are people composing better music right now, that album isn’t particularly good… I think Ornette at one time was doing really cutting edge music that was also very beautiful. Shape of Jazz to Come comes to mind. He didn’t get anything but body-slammed at the time, so maybe this is his day in the sun.