Topsy, Part 2

There are a handful of words that send me reflexively scurrying for the off button:  “Mozart,” “President Bush said today,” “Sandy Duncan,” “drum solo. ”  I loved it when Buddy Rich told Johnny Carson once that he never practiced “because it hurts my ears.”   Which, of course, is why I have to mention that the first of four upcoming concerts organized by Jason Kao Hwang at the Living Theater with RUCMA (Rise Up Creative Music and Arts) is called Drum Solos! and features drummers Newman Taylor Baker, Andrew Drury and Tatsuya Nakatani.

Thursday, July 17, 10:30 PM

Drum Solos !
Newman Taylor Baker
Andrew Drury
Tatsuya Nakatani

The Living Theatre
21 Clinton Street (bet. Houston and Stanton; F to Delancey Street or J,M,Z to Essex Street)
Admission:  $10 / students and seniors: $7

Comments

Comment from jeff harrington
Time: July 15, 2008, 2:14 pm

Heh, for sheer fear factor, nothing quite beats a ‘And now an electric bassoon solo!’ Gentle Giant concerts at The Warehouse in New Orleans.

Comment from J.C. Combs
Time: July 15, 2008, 4:33 pm

Wow, I know people have different tastes, but scurrying for the off button upon hearing Mozart? What has the world come to? Ah, I understand, the same thing happens with me anytime someone mentions Mark Twain, Picasso, or air ;)

J

Time: July 17, 2008, 12:14 pm

i can’t believe that none of you folks remember Cozy Cole’s big hit from around 1963.

Comment from zeno
Time: July 17, 2008, 2:19 pm

Hmm… my memory banks currently only go as far back as P.F. Sloan and Barry McGuire’s ‘Eve of Destruction’, Barry Sadler’s ‘Ballad of the Green Berets’, Bill Medley and Bobby Hatfield’s ‘Soul and Inspiration’, and Phil Gernhard and Dick Holler’s ‘Snoopy vs. The Red Baron’ …

Comment from Robert Bonotto
Time: July 17, 2008, 2:56 pm

I’m afraid I have to agree about the Mozart — I rush for the off button, too (I’m a Haydn man, don’t know why). One reason is the FM easy listening will play the same few hits of WAM every d*mn time. (When’s the last time they played his quintets on the air? The g-minor … maybe.) Up here in Boston, we have (what’s left of) WCRB, once a good station. Now it’s “your C.P.E. Bach station, 24 hours.”

Comment from James
Time: July 17, 2008, 3:28 pm

Our main classical radio station here has “Mozart and his contemporaries at 8 a.m.” I am on the road every morning and tune in for the 8 a.m. Mozart kick off, then its mostly guaranteed crap!!! LOL. ESPECIALLY that Haydn fellow. Robert might be right, either a Haydn or Mozart appreciator? It certainly is my case.

Its funny though, because before and after Mozart and friends at 8 a.m., it is STILL Mozart and friends…… all day……. all night.

Time: July 18, 2008, 8:19 am

ok, children. Check this: http://www.cabcalloway.cc/Cozycole.htm

Comment from Joseph Benzola
Time: July 21, 2008, 12:42 pm

Cozy was a great drummer and teacher. He had THE DRUM SCHOOL in NYC for many years.