Composers Concordance Records
the Electro – Acoustic music of Gene Pritsker
Thursday, May 23d, 9:30pm 2012
85 Avenue A New York, NY 10009
Tickets: $10 adv and $15 at door – Ticket Purchase Includes the new cd
Composers Concordance Records celebrates its May 2013 release of Gene Pritsker’s new album: ‘Samplestra’, an album of the Electro – Acoustic music .
For more information, contact:
Composers Concordance Records
646 522 9442
“Samplestra is the name I give to any prerecorded elements in my music. I see it as an orchestra of samples, since I use little fragments of pre existing music or sounds and manipulate them to my own composition. I treat these samples as found objects to write new music with. This CD represents 14 compositions that use Samplestra in combination with solos or small chamber ensembles .”
The concert will feature performances by: Edmundo Ramirez – Viola D’amour, Franz Hackl – trumpet, Michiyo Suzuki – clarinet, Margaret Lancaster – flute,
Cesare Papetti – percussion, Borislav Strulev – cello, Greg Baker – guitar, Lynn Bechtold – violin, John Clark – horn
You can sample music from the album and learn more about it here: http://noizepunk.wix.com/samplestra
About Gene Pritsker:
Composer. Gene Pritsker has written over four hundred fifty compositions, including chamber operas, orchestral and chamber works, electro-acoustic music and songs for hip-hop and rock ensembles. All of his compositions employ an eclectic spectrum of styles and are influenced by his studies of various musical cultures.
He is the founder and leader of Sound Liberation; an eclectic hip hop-chamber-jazz-rock-etc. ensemble who have released cd’s on Col-legno, Composers Concordance and Innova Records. Gene’s music has been performed all over the world at various festivals and by many ensembles and performers, including the Adelaide Symphony, MDR Symphony, The Athens Camarata, Brooklyn and Berlin Philharmonic. He has worked closely with Joe Zawinul and has orchestrated major Hollywood movies.
The New York Times described him as “…audacious…multitalented.” Joseph Pehrson, writing in The Music Connoisseur, described Pritsker as “dissolving the artificial boundaries between high brow, low brow, classical, popular musics and elevates the idea that if it’s done well it is great music, regardless of the style or genre”. Raul d’Gama Rose writes in All About Jazz: “Barring the obvious exceptions, much of 21st century composition appears to be thinning in significance, but this might be about to change. Gene Pritsker is one of a very spare handful of composers effecting this change.” Evan Burke writes in ICareIf YouListen: “Pritsker seems to look at all music as one genre, in which all other possible styles, sounds and traditions are meant to be used as building blocks and palette colors, combined in various configurations to create a boundless whole. This result is almost always more interesting, and representative of how most new music will be born in the 21st century, as genres and barriers begin to vanish, and as styles begin cross-fertilizing in previously unimagined ways.”
Organizations he is associated with include: Composers’ Concordance, Composers’ Concordance Records, Absolute Ensemble, The International Street Cannibals and the Austrian Outreach Festival. Gene Pritsker’s music is published by: Falls House Press, Gold Branch Music, Periferia Sheet Music & Calabrese Brothers music recorded on: Col Legno, Enja, Eutrepe, Wergo, Innova , Composers’ Concordance Records, and Capstone record labels.
– Release of the chamber opera ‘William James’s Varieties of Religious Experiences’ on Composers Concordance Records.
– ‘Cloud Atlas Symphony’ premiered and recorded by Kristjan Jarvi and the Leipzig MDR Symphony in Nov. 2012 at the Impuls Festival in Halle. It will be released on Sony Records.
– Producing The Composers Concordance Festival. Five concerts in one week. Gene has a composition on each. Including the inaugural performance of
the Composers Concordance Orchestra (CCO). Premiere of a new violin concerto for Lara St. John and the CCCO with Tom Bo Conducting.
– Release of the the piano concerto ‘Reinventions’ on Sony Records with Simone Dinnerstein and the Absolute Ensemble, K. Jarvi, conductor
– Orchestrated and have original music in the movie ‘Cloud Atlas’ directed by Tom Tykwer, Andy Wachowski and Lana Wachowski, released world wide on Oct. 26 2012.
– Sound Liberation releases its 4th album ‘Days’ – focusing on r&b and hip-hop.
– Releasing the album ‘Samplestra’ on Composers Concordance Records, focusing on electro – acoustic compositions
– Premiere of a new violin concerto ‘Incantation’ at the Saint Denis Festival in Paris with Miltos Papastamou and The Absolute Ensemble
– Absolute Ensemble in Bremen, Germany at the BremenMusk Fest 2012. Premiere of the chamber orchestra piece ’40 Changing Orbits’ and a
performance of ‘Incantation’ for violin and chamber orchestra and of ‘Reinventions’ for piano and chamber orchestra as well as performances of various
arrangements of Zappa, Zawinul etc.
– Ensemble KONTRASTE performs movements form the piano concerto ‘Reinventions’ in Tafelhalle, Nuremberg on New Years Day
– Writing music for the film, ‘Gas’ directed by Baff Akoto starring Nana Mensah
– Producing many concerts with Composers Concordance, Including Concerts at William Paterson University, American Museum of Natural History, the 3rd annual Generations compositions competition as well as other productions. Gene has a composition on each event.