The Los Angeles Master Chorale (LAMC), following on the heels of its wildly successful and critically applauded 50th Anniversary Season opening night concert, has released its first all-digital album featuring 17 of its signature a cappella works conducted by Music Director Grant Gershon and recorded live at that historic concert on September 22, 2013, at Walt Disney Concert Hall. The album, entitled “50th Season Celebration Concert,” celebrates the most beloved, groundbreaking and inspiring a cappella works that have defined the Los Angeles Master Chorale and its music directors over the past 50 years. Priced at $9.99, it is available online-only, at LAMC.org, iTunes and Amazon.com. Featuring 115 singers, it is the Chorale’s ninth album and its sixth conducted by Gershon.
Critics heralded the live concert as “glorious” and “sensational” (Los Angeles Times), “brilliant” (Out West Arts), “emotionally charged” (LA Opus) and “an aural feast” (ConcertoNet) “that will long be remembered by those fortunate to have been there” (Examiner).
“The Los Angeles Master Chorale is thrilled to be able to share with audiences beyond the concert hall these exceptional musical highlights from this landmark concert,” says LAMC President & CEO Terry Knowles. “The recording illuminates and honors the music and music directors who brought the Chorale to this unforgettable moment in time – the choir’s 50th Anniversary Season. Creating a digital album has enabled the Chorale to bring it to market much more quickly than a traditional CD, making this project particularly significant.”
The remarkable acoustics of the landmark Disney Hall, the Chorale’s home venue, complement the choir’s rich sound, which is captured on the recording, as is the Chorale’s astonishing versatility with musical styles ranging from Gregorian chant and Renaissance polyphony to gospel and new music. Featured tracks include:
1. Ave Maria | Tomás Luis da Vittoria
2. Il Est Bel et Bon | Pierre Passereau
3. Ev’ry time I feel the spirit | arr. William Dawson
4. Danny Boy | arr. Roger Wagner
5. Kyrie/Sally Gardens from Missa Carminum Brevis | Paul Chihara
6. Veni Creator Spiritus | Gregorian Chant
7. Tu es Petrus | Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina
8. Tu es Petrus | Maurice Duruflé, conducted by Lesley Leighton
9. Ubi caritas | Maurice Duruflé, conducted by Lesley Leighton
10. O Magnum Mysterium | Morten Lauridsen
11. Hold On! | arr. Jester Hairston
12. Spem in alium | Thomas Tallis
13. The Good Old Way | William Walker
14. Bogoroditse Devo from All-Night Vigil | Sergei Rachmaninoff
15. The Lord’s Prayer | Duke Ellington
16. Unclouded Day from Heavenly Home | Shawn Kirchner
17. Alleluia | Randall Thompson
For more information on the Chorale or to purchase the digital album, please visit www.lamc.org, iTunes or Amazon.com. Single tracks are also available for purchase.
Comments Off on LA Master Chorale Releases First All-Digital Album