- First up is the Philidor Percussion Group, which has asked for a piece to premiere here in January, with a subsequent performance at nearby UNCG.
- Also in January, tenor Glenn Siebert and mezzo Janine Hawley are performing a concert of works having to do with the seasons. They’ve asked our students to submit songs about autumn.
- For February, cellist Brooks Whitehouse has requested a piece for cello and children’s chorus — a striking combination – I think he is planning three performances in all.
- Besides our faculty programs, the Winston-Salem Symphony is having its second annual competition for our students to write a piece for them to premiere in March.
- Then, of course, we have our annual 21st-Century Residency: the Prism Saxophone Quartet will come and, among other activities, have a recording session of student works.
Although our school year doesn’t start for another couple of weeks, I’ve alerted all of our students of these opportunities, and I’m encouraging them to get to work. Deadlines are looming!