Hi,
I m a classical guitar player,
I want to know more about tuning the clarinet in orchestra.
And when u play consertos ,how do u tune it?440 hz?or 442?
please guid me,
thank you.
7 Responses to “Clarinet Tuning. White Courtesy Phone, Please”
  1. Rama says:

i’d say tune it to 441 and be safe.

2. Rama says:

on the other hand, in some folk traditions, the soloist tunes slightly higher than the group to stand out. (so in the u.s. above 440, in the e.u. above 442). it seems that tuning sharp gives the impression of being brighter but still in tune, while being slightly flat sounds out of tune.

3. andrea says:

it completely depends on the soloist, the orchestra, and the country. some orchestras tune as high as 446. unless you are working with a particular tuning system, i wouldn’t worry about it.

4. I’m not a clarinetist, but I have been paid to conduct on occassion.

A=440 is a habit here in Cleveland (it should be codified into the Ohio Revised Code as far as I’m concerned.) It’s also the only thing in the Lyndon Larouche platform that I whole-heartedly support. Anything higher annoys me (and my wife who has to then tune her viola or violin up.)

5. Jeffrey Quick says:

No, Mell, LaRouche thinks that A-432 is God’s pitch:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schiller_Institute#Music

Anyway, if we make A440 law, do we arrest all the early music players?

I sympathize though…it’s hard to tune mallet percussion up. And even harder to bring them back down.

6. Arresting early music performers could be a start! Especially some of the ones that we’ve both come into contact with. So many early music players remind me of so many ‘world music’ students. Can’t play a modern instrument well? No problem, try this gamba, sackbutt, sheng, er-hu, etc. and no one will notice that you’re just a mediocre musician. (Yes, I know that there are good players out there, but there are just so many who throw themselves into a Dolmetchian level of mendacity.

7. It depends on the conductor. If he wants a brighter orchestra sound he asks for a higher diapason (even to 445-6). And, here in Italy (or France), ancient music ensembles tune at 415 to respect baroque lower-than-now tuning.