http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6672662

6 Responses to “Listen and Discuss”
  1. No time for in-depth analysis at the moment, but I do want to say that the quality of the reporting on this story was excellent. Kudos to NPR for airing this story.

2. Dude, weight-loss is so Process oriented, like that crappy Philip Glass stuff. What you really want to do is reconfigure your weight each time you get on the scale, never repeating a configuration until you’ve gone through all the possible variations — and no cheating and skipping the one where all of your body fat is in your face! I know it’s ugly, but do you want to insure the supremacy of your body image for the next hundred years or not?

3. Ack! Some kindly sysadmin has deleted the spam (which linked to a weightloss website and said “let’s talk about losing weight”) that I was responding to above, thereby totally decontextualizing my hilarious joke.

4. I actually rather like the Philip Glass Violin Concerto, which is the work that Leonard Slatkin claimed (in my NewMusicBox conversation with him last year) changed his mind about Glass and about minimalism. Glass’s Concerto is certainly eons more compelling than that inocuous bon-bon (also featured in a recording by Robert McDuffie) which NPR felt compelled to broadcast in its entirely, thus commenting on themselves as they comment on the classical radio community at large. Let’s not forget that are dear friends over at NPR, while now singing the praises of classical music in this short news piece, are the same folks who just recently killed classical music from their syndicated service.

5. My jab at Philip Glass above was entirely in jest — And I love the violin concerto. I occasionally hear people say that Glass hasn’t done anything interesting since Einstein, but I think pieces like the Violin Concerto and the Third Symphony are fantastic.

In fairness, while I’d love to hear more rather than less classical music (especially more recent music) on NPR, there isn’t any hypocracy in cutting back the music while continuing to provide news coverage. The question of who should broadcast classical music is separate from whether and how it should be covered in news segments.

6. Steve Layton says:

They did get about 5 seconds of J. Higdon’s Zaka in there, woohoo…

(& semi-sorry, Galen; the “sysadmin” was me. The auto-spam-blocker works pretty well, but when one of those gets through & I see it, I’ll yank it as fast as I can.)