Let’s Make a List

Michael Gordon – The Sad Park
Dennis Báthory-Kitsz: The Key of Locust
Phil Kline – Vigil
Elodie Lauten: S.O.S.W.T.C

Comments

Time: September 11, 2008, 10:52 am

Hey, where is everybody? Over at Jeff’s place? Come back. We have ice cream and cookies.

Time: September 11, 2008, 11:01 am

Naw, it’s slow there too. Maybe — like all good musicians everywhere — we’re all just busy making music & etc… Not to mention that I’m getting everything ready for a potential direct hit from a category 3 or 4 hurricane Friday night through Saturday. 8-)

For 9/11 here in Houston, they’re doing Faure’s Requiem.

Comment from zeno
Time: September 11, 2008, 11:56 am

Instead of the Faure and in lieu of one minute of silence, there could be Schoenberg’s “Sehr langsam” concluding movement from the Sechs kleine Klavierstuck Opus 19 (perhaps in Allessandro Palazzani’s recent orchestration); or for those willing to listen for a little more than one minute, Webern’s grieving ‘Marcia Funebre’ from his Six Pieces Opus 6.

Comment from Chris Becker
Time: September 11, 2008, 12:35 pm

This may sound corny (or crazy) but this morning I could swear the city (NYC) sounded different. It sounded quieter. I could hear footsteps clearly, the sound of construction, people talking…all sort of at a low amplitude but with a clarity that…well, wasn’t there for me yesterday.

Maybe I just ate a better breakfast? Got a good night of sleep?

I have vivid memories of the night before 9/11. I heard Daniel Carter at the Knitting Factory that night. Sounded like the sky was falling – if you know his playing you know what I mean. I took a walk around Tribeca before his set and took a good look at all of the buildings in the fog.

The weekend previous I was sitting at a friend’s pool in upstate NYC and suddenly heard the loudest scariest bunch of yelping I’d ever heard…turned out to be a big flock of geese flying overhead. I had heard them well before they passed above me.

Steve – Were you there for Rita? You’ll be fine. I don’t think Houston got winds above 62 mph or much flooding – but it’s good to stock up and hunker down nonetheless.

CB

Comment from John Clare
Time: September 11, 2008, 12:45 pm

How about “In What Language?”, a song cycle about the post-9/11 world by Vijay Iyer?

Time: September 11, 2008, 1:01 pm

My wife’s in Manhattan today, & feeling some of it. She’ll let me know when she’s back this evening. Sure wasn’t any quieter last night when I was talking to her ;-) (of course she’s right down at Times Square, so good luck with *that*!)

Provided the forecast plays out as expected, the difference with Rita was that it drifted slightly north, & Houston ended up on the weak side of the hurricane; this time it’s supposed to stay a little south and we’re supposed to get the strong side. Being somewhat inland, and since the hurricane is expected to move pretty quickly, Houston should mainly get 12-20 hours of strong wind and a fair but not flooding rain. More than likely we’ll lose power for some time (if you don’t hear from me for a while, that’s likely what’s up), and maybe lose a window or two. But we’ll stick around anyway. The bigger problem with this landfall is that it’s likely to bring a pretty big storm surge (12-20 ft.) right into a lot of low coastline & bayous around Galveston Island. If that happens the damage will be in the many billions, and a lot of people are going to be hurting.

Comment from Chris Becker
Time: September 11, 2008, 1:38 pm

New Orleans is still like 50/50 as far as electricity goes, although that may have changed since I last communicated with my friends down there. I was in South Louisiana earlier in August for a recording project and the area I visited is completely without electricity :o(

Hang in there Steve!

Comment from Sparky P.
Time: September 11, 2008, 1:58 pm

Jerry, the cookies and ice cream were yummy! Especially the freshly baked Toll House cookies with pieces of macadamia nuts!

Comment from Sparky P.
Time: September 11, 2008, 2:02 pm

Anyway, also interesting is that this morning on SF’s KFOG’s 10@10, the year was 1971 and played was Tom Clay’s “What the World Needs Now/Abraham, Martin & John”.

Comment from Christian
Time: September 11, 2008, 4:26 pm

Charles Wuorinen, “September 11, 2001″

Comment from Paul H. Muller
Time: September 11, 2008, 6:23 pm

“The Company of Heaven” by Britten

“3rd Symphony of Sorrowful Songs” by Henryk Mikolaj Gorecki

The Gorecki, in my opinion, is the definitive statement on WWII and should probably be reserved for that.

Comment from tom
Time: September 12, 2008, 12:25 am

May we offer our “Reflecting Absence” piece…classical guitar, cello and bass, finally completed and released last year. http://www.salvatoriproductions.com