Given the inexplicable stature of our little S21 community, it occurred to me a couple of weeks ago that we should do something useful. I’ve chatted with a few of the regulars and gotten some good ideas but I thought I would open up the discussion to everybody.
Here’s what we have so far:
1) another Sequenza21 concert like the very successful one we had a couple of years ago. We’d raise a little money from readers and I would shake down…ur, trade a few record companies some free advertising for dollars. My feeling is that if we go the concert route, we should have somebody prominent who is not a composer curate the program to avoid the unfortunate tendency of the selection committee to be overrepresented on the program. Ideas?
2) a Sequenza21 virtual CD or CDs. Steve Layton has some great thoughts on this that would keep the costs down and avoid the wrath of ASCAP. Maybe, Steve could elaborate.
3) A modest Sequenza21 commissioning fund for composers and who contribute here regularly. (We’ll have to define what contribute here regularly means).
4) Some sort of outreach to performers and musicians who are not composers. We’d like to get more of them involved in S21. Maybe a Performers Forum?
5) Something we haven’t thought of yet but you have.
The floor is now open.