The night before last our Composition Department convened for the first time of the new year. Many new faces, many new challenges and rewards. Here is our schedule for the fall:
- Aug 24-25: Cirque du Soleil at UNCSA – UNCSA student groups perform for Cirque du Soleil representatives. Two works featured: The Black Widow and The Paper Crane, both with music by Bruce Tippette.
- Aug 31: Totally Tubular – composing for the trumpet-trombone duo.
- Sep 1: Open Dream Ensemble – premiere of Big Shoes, a multidisciplinary theater work with music by Bruce Tippette, Kenneth Florence and Ted Oliver.
- Sep 28: Amped – composing for electric guitar.
- Sep 30: Composers in the Hood – student-organized new music concert in Hood Recital Hall.
- Oct 4: Love Fail – premiere of a new work by David Lang, performed by Anonymous 4.
- Oct 13: deadline for new works for Totally Tubular.
- Oct 18: Forecast – new music ensemble performs works by Lawrence Dillon, Mark Engebretson, Michael Rothkopf and Alejandro Rutty.
- Oct 26: What’s nu? – contemporary ensemble director Saxton Rose discusses rep on the upcoming concert.
- Oct 27: nu – UNCSA contemporary ensemble tackles music by Randall Woolf, Caleb Burhans, Wolfgang Rihm, Giacinto Scelsi and Benjamin Broening.
- Nov 9: Amped II – Kenneth Florence and Nicholas Rich play student compositions for electric guitar. Also, deadline for orchestral drafts and completed works for nu ensemble.
- Nov 10: Saxophone Remix – Taimur Sullivan plays music by Joan Tower and Steve Reich.
- Nov 13: Totally Tubular – faculty duo premieres a student work for trumpet and trombone.
- Nov 16: Composition Juries
- TBA: sessions on improvisation, pairing up with choreographers and a surprise guest composer.
A lot to digest in less than three months. Lessons start today!